Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Professional Knitting for the Advanced Knitter

I have taken up knitting! And I am really, really good at it! I just finished a pair of mittens for Ainsley, my 16-month-old granddaughter. They became hers when I realized that I didn't yet grasp the "thumb" segment of the instructions. Babies don't need thumbs on their mittens do they? I now have three mittens. The first one came out great with only a few lumpy spots. The second one looked better..almost professional if I do say so, but it was somewhat smaller than the first one. Well actually quite a bit smaller. I tried stretching and pulling on the smaller one and scrunching up the bigger one but in no time they were back to "too big" and "too little".

So I made a third mitten thinking that whichever one it matched most closely would become its partner and I would have a pair. Well that worked out pretty well so now I am in the process of trying to make the fourth to match the one that has no partner.

Yes, I can see the possibility of a problem here so you don't have to point it out to me. It's possible that this can go on forever without attaining the miraculous even number of relatively similar sized mittens. But surely the odds of that happening are no more than fifty-fifty! And fifty-fifty is good when your dealing in mitten pairs isn't it?

1 comment:

  1. Have you figured out thumbs yet? Or just put a hole in the side so the use of the thumb is optional. Your thumb always feels a bit colder than your mittened fingers anyway. Maybe a hidey hole for a thumb is a better way to go!! I'm a genius!

    ReplyDelete